The Local Community
Google Earth Instructions:
- Use the “Fly To” tab to search for your school address. Make sure to include street address, city and province information in the search area.
- Use the zoom tool to move closer or further away from the school. Adjust the image in order to view the homes in the area around the school.
- Add a “Placemark” on the school by selecting the pushpin button and choosing “Placemark” from the menu.
- Drag the “Placemark” over the school and enter the name of the school in the “Name” box. Enter a description in the “Description” box if you wish. Select the “OK” button when you are done.
- Discuss what the roads might be in the area around the school. When you are done select the “Roads” checkbox in order for the names of the roads to appear on your map.
- Grab the map with your mouse and drag it in order to find student homes, parks, bridges, and rivers in your area, put “Placemarks” on these features of the local community.
- Zoom out of your local map, so that you can see all of your “Placemarks.”
- Save the image so that it can be shared.
- Add paths to the school by selecting the Tools Menu and choosing “Measure” from the menu.
- Select "Path' from the tabs, and choose the appropriate unit of measurement.
- Draw walking paths from the placemarks identified in part one to the school. (Click the left mouse button to create points of the path)
- Make notes of the measurements of each path to calculate the distance students are travelling daily.